Installing Edgecam 2013 R2
Many end users are hesitant to install new software versions. While we techie types may love new software and dive right in, we get your point – you already have a software package that is working, and you have loads of work to do. You’ve heard about the new software and it sounds interesting, but you have some concerns …
- Will the installation will go smoothly, and how long will it take?
- Is configuring and beginning to use the new software intuitive?
- Can I keep leave the existing version on the workstation, just in case?
The Edgecam 2013 R2 installation process is very straightforward, and leaves your existing Edgecam installation intact. After installation is complete, the File Migration Utility helps you quickly get the new version configured just like your existing one! User files and settings important to software configuration are copied over, and you’re in control of the entire process.
Please note that Edgecam 2013 R2 is available for download from the Vero Customer Portal for customers on maintenance (click here to download). After downloading the DVD image, extract the contents to any folder you wish.
Begin the installation by opening the StartHere.hta file located in the root folder of the Edgecam 2013 R2 DVD image. This will launch the installation splash screen, as shown in this screen image.
- The Prepare section provides documentation. Take a look!
- The Install section lists typical software components, in the recommended installation order.
- The Server Installations section offers additional software tools. Refer to the Installation Guide for more information on these items.
1. Install Edgecam. You will be presented with the following prompts, each with a “Next” button to progress.
- License Agreement
- Destination Folder for software installation
- Install Type
- Windows Program Group to be created
- Once you click next, the installation will begin. The progress meter will go through several stages of the installation, with a final screen when the installation is complete. This page provides a link to immediately open the “What’s New” document, listing the new items. Take a look!
2. Finally, install the CAD Links if you have Autodesk Inventor, SolidWorks, or Solid Edge installed on your Edgecam workstation. This adds a plug-in for those CAD systems, allowing for easy transfer of part information to Edgecam.
3. After installing all software components you wish to use, exit the splash screen. Edgecam is ready to be opened, using the new Edgecam Launcher 2013 R2 shortcut, available on your desktop and also in the Edgecam 2013 R2 program group (Start > All Programs).
4. The File Migration Utility can be run automatically. The first time you open the new Edgecam version, the Edgecam Migration Wizard Setup dialog is offered. Choose the “Yes” button to use this utility to copy the settings from your existing Edgecam version to the new one.
5. The initial wizard dialog summarizes the File Migration Utility, and notes which versions are used. Click the Next button to continue.
6. The next dialog provides a list of the items that can be copied, with typical default selections already made. Select the items you wish to copy, then click the Start button to begin.
7. The progress is displayed. When complete, click the Close button to exit.
The File Migration Utility may be run at any time, from the Edgecam Utilities. (Start > All Programs > Edgecam 2013 R2 > Programs > Utilities)
8. When Edgecam 2013 R2 opens, it will be configured similar to the existing version you have been using. You can get to work immediately!
Don’t let the concerns about software installation hold you back from immediately using Edgecam 2013 R2. There are many useful enhancements that will streamline your workflow, improve toolpath, and help you be more productive.
- The installation process is very straightforward, and will leave your existing Edgecam installation intact.
- The File Migration Utility helps you quickly get the new version configured just like your existing one! User files and settings are copied over, and you’re in control of the entire process.
This video demonstrates the typical Edgecam 2013 R2 installation (need link to video), including the File Migration Wizard. Check out how easy the process is!
Addendum: Network ToolStore Users
Customers that have deployed the ToolStore database from a “network server” should install the latest software on the “database server” and upgrade the database prior to installing Edgecam on the workstations. The reason is that the Edgecam workstations will not be able to connect to a valid network database until it is upgraded to the 2013 R2 version.
The required steps are listed below
- Complete the SQL ToolStore option, located in the Server Installation section of the installation menu.
- Once complete, use the ToolStore Administrator (Start > All Programs > Edgecam Toolstore Server 2013 R2) and update the ToolStore database to the new version.
Once both these items are complete, proceed with installing Edgecam on the workstations.
- Fill out our contact form
Give us a call